Are you a change-maker, rain-maker, ground-breaker? Do you see opportunity, where others see crisis? Do you want to change the world? Young Champions of the Earth aims to celebrate and support individuals aged between 18 and 30 who have outstanding potential to create a positive environmental impact.
Lead a new wave
Global warming is forcing our societies, our economies and our world to change. Our ways of doing business; careers and job opportunities need to change too.
With this change comes unprecedented opportunity to take action. For brave entrepreneurs and trend-setting role-models to carve their place in a new and greener economy; to pioneer revolutionary technology and radical innovations – to lead a new wave of green careers.
We’re searching for you!
In 2019, seven young people – selected from every global region – will be named Young Champions of the Earth. These winners receive seed funding, intensive training, and tailored mentorship to bring their big environmental ideas to life. We’re looking for the artists, scientists, economists, communicators and entrepreneurs from all walks of life with big, bold ideas— for the environment, for humanity, for a greener future.
Whose big idea will change the world?
Following an open call for applications, UN experts will short-list World Finalists from every region. A Global Jury will then select the seven 2019 winners. Each winner will be expected to implement their big idea and keep us updated on their progress by producing videos and blogs that we will share on our website. In parallel, up to 50 of the most promising applicants will be granted privileged access to an expert community of Covestro mentors. They will offer insights on topics ranging from communications and business development to project planning and financial management.
What do the Young Champions receive?
In 2019, seven Young Champions of the Earth will be selected from each global region: one from each of Africa, Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean, North America, West Asia, and two from Asia and the Pacific. Each winner will receive the following:
- US$15,000 in seed funding;
- US$ 9,000 in funding to communicate and capture your idea and broadcast the stories of hope and change that you’re catalyzing on the ground.
- Attendance at a high-level UN meeting;
- An introduction to dignitaries at the Champions of the Earth Award Ceremony;
- Publicity and recognition through interviews and online and global media;
- Access to a community of Covestro experts offering insights and mentoring; and
- Participation in an entrepreneurial training program.
The 2019 Young Champions will be required to share their journeys through blogs and vlogs posted on this website for a period of up to one year.
More than just an honorary title, Young Champions of the Earth Prize aims to nurture the next generation of environmental leaders. Up to 50 applicants who clearly articulate their skills requirements and demonstrate a strong willingness to learn will be granted privileged access to mentoring opportunities. They will be able to seek technical guidance and professional advice from a broad community of experts drawn from Covestro’s 16,000 global staff members. These mentors will share their experience through webinars, thematic online roundtables and individual support.
Topics of strategic relevance such as communications, project planning and financial management, will be explored in depth with the aim of strengthening the viability and impact of mentees’ ventures.
The selection process has three rounds.
- The open call for applications will run until 31 March 2019. Each applicant will be required to submit responses to a series of questions and upload a referee’s letter of endorsement.
- Finalists—drawn from every world region—will be short-listed by UN experts and requested to submit short videos pitching their big ideas.
- In the final stage, a Global Jury will review the World Finalists’ big ideas and choose seven Young Champions of the Earth. The winners will be publicly announced and invited to attend the Champions of the Earth Award Ceremony.
The winners will be expected to implement their big ideas and act as ambassadors of cause at speaking opportunities, while providing regular progress updates in the form of videos and blogs that will be shared on this website.